March 27, 2012

Cai Dao Peng [ Long Bean Rice ]

One of my old time favourite , "Cai Dao Peng " [ Long Bean Rice ] . I have always love this rice whenever mom cook it for me for dinner . Mom used to say " how come you can remember those dishes I used to cook for you ? " and I will just smile .. I won't describe my childhood as happy , but I will always remember when mom cook my favourite food .
I can really eat a few bowls of this when garnish and serve with crispy fried shallot and cili padi from my garden. Yummy yummy ... This is a very common dish among Hokkien. While eating it, it makes me feel " home" as if I were years younger when mom used to prepare food for all of us . Heehee..........
I cook these dishes based on my own memory of the taste of each and every dish . After mom tasting it , that is when she will give me her comment whenever needed . Heehee. As such , I really do not have exact measurement for all the ingredients . 

( Long Bean Rice ) Cai Dao Peng 
Ingredients 
3 cups    Rice Grain 
Water [ water enough o cook 3 cups of rice ]
20         Chinese Long Bean ( Cai Dao ) [ clean and cut into 2 1/2 cm length ] 
20 buttons  Chinese Black Mushroom [ soak and thinly slice ] 
150g     Pork [ cut into strips or bite sizes preferred ]
2 tbsp   Oyster Sauce 
2 tbsp   Light Soya Sauce
1 tbsp   Dark Soya Sauce 
2 shallots and 5 pips of garlic [ peel and chopped finely ] 
Some Crispy Fried Dried Prawns or Anchovies for Garnishing 

Method
1/  Wash the rice grains , drain and set aside for later use.
2/  Fry mushroom over medium low heat in a sauce pan together with 1 tbsp of corm oil/olive oil until fragant . Lower heat and add in 1 tbsp of light soya sauce . Stif fry for further 2 min. Dish up and set aside for later use   
3/ Heat up a wok and add in 2 tbsp of olive / corn oil [ anything that suits your preference ] . Sauté chopped garlic and shallot till fragrant. Add in pork stir fry till dry and brown. Add in long beans. 
4/  Fry for another 5-6 minutes , add in rice grains . Add in light soya sauce and dark soya sauce . Stir to combine all ingredients before adding in mushroom . Stir fry for further 5-6 minutes before transferring the long bean rice to a rice cooker. 
5/  Add in enough water for 3 cups of rice and cook in a rice cooker 
6/ Serve immediately when its done , garnish with crispy fried shallot, dried prawns or anchovies  [ own preference ] 

Voila... Enjoy your dinner yeah !!!!!




14 comments:

  1. yum! this is tasty, girl. it has been a very long time i cooked this..i hope it's the same one..becos i heard of long bean rice but not cai dao peng? eh, what dialect is that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahhahahaha, babe its Hokkien ... LOL .... I love this ...Guess what ? I cook this again tonite ... Yummmmmmm.... I am so full now .. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It has been quite a while since I last cooked this! My other favourite is with yam! Whether with long beans or yam, the garnishing of fried shallots and spring onions are a must, my kids would even ask for them :)
    And for me, just like you, chili padi please, lagi pedas lagi bagus!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had this dish, but it sounds delicious. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. This is really Ho Chiak ... LOL.... I cook this 2 weeks in a row... LOL

      Delete