March 4, 2012

Free & Easy Bake Along #19 : Lemon Poppy Seed-Sour Cream Cake

As usual, I am always the last one to post or either the second last one to post . Heehee.... Of course I wouldn't wanna miss Baking Along with my fellow bloggers . I am starting to love baking along with them . For this round of Free & Easy Bake Along , everyone is gonna bake or everyone actually baked ( and posted it way earlier than me ) Lemon Poppy Seed- Sour Cream Cake from Roses's Heavenly Cake . Yummy my favourite lemon ...
Just don't laugh at my photos. LOL . As per the recipe, this cake is best prepared a day ahead . As so , I baked this cake at 11.00 pm and by the time finish baking and cleaning everything , it was already 2.30 am . I was so exhausted till I was not in the mood to take any photos . When I woke up the next morning , I nearly wanna faint . I couldn't believe my eyes ................ Huhuhuhuhu............ I dun find any other slices left except for this one poor slice left for me to take photos then eat ........ Poor little cake... Heehee
This is really delicious , with the right lemony taste and moist . I simply love the taste of it. Everything seems to be a perfect combination . Of course as usual , I made some changes to suit my taste buds . I always prefer using yoghurt rather than sour cream . I find cakes with yoghurt turns out to be more moist and tender . No regrets buying the bundt pan tho . Baking this cake in a bundt pan is really a prefect choice after all.
The lemon zest is really taste good with the combination of poppy seed .  Crunchy , crunchy lemony makes this cake special . 
Lemon Poppy Seed- Sour Cream 
Ingredients 
2 large     Eggs at room temperature
1 large     Egg Yolk at room temperature
200g       Yoghurt ( original recipe calls for 200g sour cream )
1 3/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
250g       Cake Flour
160g        Castor Sugar ( original recipe calls for 250g Superfine Sugar )
1 1/2 tsp  Baking Powder
1/2  tsp    Baking Soda
1/2  tsp    Salt
Lemon Zest from 2 Lemons
50g          Poppy Seed
200g        Unsalted Butter

Method
1.   Preheat the oven at175C twenty minutes before baking and set the oven rack in the lower third of        
your oven    
2.   In a mixing bowl, whisk the whole eggs, yolk, 1/4 cup of the yoghurt , vanilla, just until lightly combined.
3.   In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and poppy     seeds on low speed for about 30 seconds. Add butter and the remaining yoghurt. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the speed to medium and beat for another 1 1/2 minutes.
4.   Starting on low speed, gradually add the egg mixture in two parts, beating on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
5.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tester inserted comes out clean.The cake should start to shrink from the pan after removal from the oven.

Prepare the Lemon Syrup while the cake is baking
Lemon Syrup 
100g      Sugar
Juice from 2 Lemons

In a small saucepan or microwave, heat the sugar and lemon juice, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved. Do not allow it to boil, cover it tightly to prevent evaporation.

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, place the pan on a wire rack, poke the cake all over with thin skewer, brush the cake with 1/3 of the syrup. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 min. Invert it onto a serving plate. Brush the top and sides of the cake with remaining syrup. Cool completely and wrap airtight.
Can you see poppy seed left on baby Ryan's cheek? Baby actually ate half of that slice of cake . Hu hu hu hu hu ......  
Baby Ryan actually gives me the courage to explore more baking recipes . He is always my loyal fans ... Heehee

                                                               
I am joining Bake Along No. 19 which is organise by Frozen Wings , Kitchen Flavours and Bake for Happy Kids. Enjoy !





17 comments:

  1. Good morning, Abby! Your poppy seed sure looks good! Only one slice left? Hehe! That goes to show how delicious this cake is! And I think that you must be really tired after making this so late at night, there's no sugar in your recipe.. :o) LOL!
    You finally got your Bundt Pan, it certainly worth the money spent, did you get the Wilton one?
    Thank you again for baking along with us, and glad that you are enjoying it as much as we enjoy having you baking with us! Wish you a lovely Sunday and baby Ryan is an adorable little boy! He looks cheeky and cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joyce, thanx for pointing out my mistake. I really didn't realise it ... LOL... I dun think the bundt pan is from Wilton . Heehee... The bakery supply shop purposely ordered this pan for me ...

      Delete
  2. That looks so good, the family will give the recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha! only one slice left?? i wonder what time you woke up..LOL! Very glad to hear that you enjoy baking with us..it's really nice to hear that..you know..and appreciate that a lot! i can see that you hv so much passion for baking( much much more than me) as you can stay up late to bake, also thanks for supporting all along! your boy is so adorable lah, send my hugs to him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err..... I woke up at 11.30 am, hahaha..... was really too exhausted. I can't seems to drag my ass from the bed .. Heehee ... I love baking with u guys ......... ;) .. Oh yeah .. I will send ur hugs to baby Ryan. Thank you so much .. my hugs to you too .. LOL

      Delete
  4. Wow Abby you are lucky to still have one slice left...You bake a very nice cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angeline, thank you for dropping by. I really love this cake. ;)

      Delete
  5. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesMarch 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM

    Lovely cake! Send my hugs to baby Ryan, he's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen , thank you for dropping by . I love the one u bake too . The pan is really special. Baby Ryan love hugs .. LOL ... the fact that he loves girls and hugs ... Heehee

      Delete
  6. Hi Abby,

    I'm so happy to have you baking-along with us. And also happy too that your cake turned out so well that only one slice is left for your photography. LOL! - Sorry but I can't help laughing...

    Your baby with bits of poppy seed on his cheek is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey babe, LOL.... I was laughing at my silly self too ..... Baby Ryan is always my motivation ... LOL

      Delete